Saturday, July 12, 2008

It's Getting Serious: The Preparation Conference

On the ... I don't remember exactly when the seminar was it's so long ago (I’m only starting my blog and I’m already behind schedule). I'll just say: In the end of June or the beginning of July (I’m sure it was around that time the posting date above is the date when I should have posted this post... ) I attended a 10 day preparation seminar in Cologne. The course intended to prepare us for confrontations with different cultures, poverty, diseases, and anything one might encounter in a developing country.


I learned some amazing things! Especially about different ways of thinking; how thought and attitude are connected to mentality and cultural, as well as political background. We also got the chance to find out that we are actually “racist” and that we have lots of prejudices even if we pretend that we don’t. This works the other way as well of course, so we discussed our roles as “white” volunteers and that people might not actually have any sympathy for what we do.
I’m happy I got to attend this seminar also because I finally met Sandra who I will work and live with in Rwanda. That's her in the picture below.

No comments: